Process of Science
Here is another way in which the process is represented
Science Like a Jigsaw Puzzle
- Science is like assembling a jigsaw puzzle except without a box top.
- With any jigsaw puzzle, there is only one organization of the pieces that all fit together correctly.
- Many pieces "almost" fit together, but are wrong.
- As you slowly assemble it, there is a moment when the picture becomes clear because they make up the shapes, and the lines to form the picture, even though there are still many unplaced or missing pieces.
- Some people will try to smash non-compatible pieces together, change them, or toss out ones that don't meet their preconceptions.
- It’s not complete, and we don’t know for sure, because we don’t have all of the pieces, but we know the image from the other pieces, and what it suggests the other pieces will be.
- We can say with certainty what it is not. We can falsify that it is not a duck.